How to Submit to Us.
Our goal is to make this process as painless as possible for you, and the following guidelines will make us better able to respond to you in a timely manner. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Do send your query letter via email, and include the full query in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
- Do include a writing sample of the first 25 pages of your manuscript (or the closest chapter break) in the body of the email below your query letter.
- Do proofread carefully and double-space your writing sample.
- Do be sure to query only one agent at this agency. We will not review queries sent to more than one of us.
- Do resend your query email if you haven’t heard from us in 8 weeks, noting the date previously sent. Our goal is to read and respond to every query in that time frame.
- Don’t send attachments with a blank email or an incomplete query – we will not open them.
- Don’t send materials as a shared file or download link (such as Dropbox or Google Docs). We will not open these files.
- Don’t submit to more than one of us in the same query, or requery another agent here after getting a pass. We share queries with each other frequently, so a no from one is a no from all.
- Don’t send a query for a novel until the manuscript is complete, polished and ready for review. We do not accept partial manuscripts for novels. Nonfiction can be queried with a proposal.
- Don’t pitch projects or follow up on queries via social media. Pitches made via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc, will not be considered except as part of a planned pitch event.
We like our unsolicited queries to be concise, well-written and well-proofed, and as devoid of gimmicks as possible. Here’s what to include:
- A professional, personalized greeting.
- A mention in the first paragraph of why you’re querying us: you admire a client’s work, you met us at a conference, you read a great interview, etc. Be brief and specific!
- Your pitch: a paragraph or two summarizing your novel or nonfiction project that will hook us on your work. For fiction, please include genre, word count, and comp titles.
- Your bio or credentials: your expertise in the topic, your previous publication credits, your social media platform.
See our FAQ section for more information on a strong query and what to expect when you’ve queried!