Nephews Read Books

This past weekend, I went to visit my nephews (and their parents, of course, but frankly they’re not as cute).  Now as I’ve previously reported, my nephews know me pretty well by now as a person who reads books.  The older of the two, who we’ll call Fidge, has been known to declare to visitors that “Aunts read books.”  And on the whiteboard on which they count down sleeps until major events, they art directed a sketch of me with a soccer ball in one hand and a book in the other.

At LaurnenSo consider me thrilled to report that my younger nephew, who we’ll call Gus, has started reading memorized bits of his books unprompted, and his big brother Fidge can full on read now, sounding out words he doesn’t recognize and automatically trying to read every word he sees, whether on a book or a street sign or a building.  For the first time ever, he read to me a book he hasn’t memorized.  I love picture books, but I’ve been eagerly awaiting this stage, when we can start advancing to more complicated stories.

So now I need to advance my book acquisitions beyond picture books.  I’m going to stock up on some Amelia Bedelias and Pippi Longstockings.  And they need to hear the news that Miss Nelson Is Missing.  I’ve been holding a set of Roald Dahl books for at least 3 years waiting for them to be old enough.  I’m pretty sure Fidge will be all about the Magic School Bus.  Plus it’s probably time to continue the family Laura Ingalls Wilder tradition.

Do you have any favorite post-picture book gems that my nephews and I should dive into?

13 Responses to Nephews Read Books

1. D. C. DaCosta says:

McKlosky’s “Make Way for Ducklings” and “One Day in Maine”. (Ages 3-6).
    “My Side of the Mountain” (I forget the author — ages 7-10, after that they can read it themselves.)
    “The Good Master” by Kate Seredy (ages 6+).

• D. C. DaCosta says:

To be honest, one of the best things you can do for a kid is to set the books aside — wait! wait! Hear me out! — and tell him a story that you’ve made up out of your imagination. The easiest way to do this is to play a piece of classical music and ad lib a story based on the changing moods of the piece.

You will teach him:
      – to sit still, listen, and “make pictures in his head”
      – that you don’t need books to be entertained
      – that classical music can be pretty cool
      – that you, yourself, are pretty cool because you can make up stories without needing a book!

You will also have the chance to challenge him to make up his own stories to tell to you. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the inspiration for a new generation of authors?

Most important of all: you will leave him the memory of some very special times spent in your company.

2. shelley seely says:

I don\’t think you need to put books away to make up stories. It comes naturally to children who tend to be highly imaginative and intuitive.My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George, impacted me as a kid! I wanted to go live in a hollowed out stump so bad!I love the Clementine books. So funny! Junie B. Jones is funny too. The Fudge books (who doesn\’t adore Judy Blume?) and Island of the Blue Dolphins.My granddaughter is seven months old. She actually sits for board books and studies the illustrations. Can\’t wait for those ext steps!Happy reading.

3. Sorry you have distorted the links to the ebooks as they are quite wonderful. For those interested, \\\”The Ollie Dog Quartet\\\” and \\\”The Little Green Astronaut\\\” are available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. The illustrations by my nephew are great fun.

4. Joelle says:

Don\’t forget Beverly Cleary! So much to choose from there, from animal stories Runaway Ralph and Ribsy, to Ramona and all her friends. I too love the Clementine books. What about Encyclopedia Brown? Those are so great because the \”solution\” comes after the story and you can have a discussion and try to figure it out! If he\’s not that into Laura Ingalls yet, try Farmer Boy on its own. A big hit with my brother at that age, but the others, not so much. I\’ve heard from the librarian that the Flat Stanley books are a BIG HIT with kids that age.Some Canadian recent releases you might like, and should be able to get, are the John Jasper Dooley series, The Ghost and Max Monroe series, and a standalone called The Elevator Ghost.Have fun!

• Lauren says:

Oh, yes, Beverly Cleary! Ramona, especially. And Encyclopedia Brown is perfect–and reminds me that I can’t introduce them to my favorite kid sleuth, Cam Jansen, soon enough. Thanks for all the recommendations, Joelle!

5. Heather says:

CIRCUS MIRANDUS is one I’m recommending to everyone I meet right now! It doesn’t pub until June, but it is every kind of fantastic. It’s about finding and preserving magic in the world, and reads like the best of Roald Dahl– genuine and heartfelt, classic and timeless, its own kind of magic. 10/10 will read again!

6. Bill says:

My kids — boys and girls — both enjoyed anything published by American Girl.

7. Cheryl Rye says:

My children, now a girl of 10 and a boy of 7, adored reading the John D. Fitzgerald series, \”the Great Brain.\” They read these books with their papa, who had read them with his own parents. They were about 4 and 7 at the time. And when the kids are older, Le Guin\’s \”Earthsea\” trilogy is great. The fourth Earthsea book is, of course, beautiful but not for your average fourth grader. Hold off a while longer for that one, and read it first, if you haven’t already.

8. Jack says:

I’m stuck and I’ve been stuck for almost six mtonhs. I have in my possesion 60 of the best pages I’ve EVER written (and nearly everyone who has read them agrees with me) but I can not find my voice again. My hard living, tough, baseball beat writer has left me high and dry.I have no idea how to get him back. I’ve thought about ditching it for the YA genre or a memoir or something. But then the more I think about it, the more I don’t want to be a part of the ‘trend’. I want to be me, in my own voice. If people want to emulate ME though, well, I am am ok with that.