It’s that New Year’s resolutions time again

It’s hard to realize that another year has passed and it is that time again—t he time to make my New Year’s resolutions.

To be totally honest, I have always believed in writing down goals.  In fact, I do this every quarter.  I review my quarterly goals every month and then at the end of the quarter, I actually do a written comparative of what I achieved against the goals I set.  And it works!  It really does.

New Year’s resolutions though are another kettle of fish.  They never seem to be achievable and perhaps that is because we (I) don’t take them as seriously as the goals I do four times a year.

Just the other day I read this piece about goals, and found many of them inspirational.  So I have put together a list of my resolutions which I am sharing here.  Hopefully, I will be able to stick to them—at least for a while:

• Learn to read faster.  There is so much to read and I am always running out of time.
  • Explore at least one independent bookstore a week as opposed to a chain store and buy a new book when I do so. It is important to support the independents.
  • Try to stop working after 10:30 every night.  I usually wake up at 5:45 so going to bed after 11:00 or so really doesn’t allow me to get enough sleep.
  • Get better on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumbler.  I know I should be using these social media tools more but I find them intimidating.  I need to get more confident in my abilities.
  • Continue to work out daily.  I always feel better after using the life cycle, weight training, or taking a yoga class.
  • Go to more movies!  Movies are a part of our business and last year I think I only saw two—I  need to get out more.
  • Stop letting my kids drive me crazy.
  • Try to eat a more balanced diet—I am a poor eater and I know it.  At 90 pounds I really should be more health conscious.
  • Finally, look forward to the year ahead, developing books with my super stable of clients and finding new and exciting projects as well.

Resolutions are personal and many don’t like to share theirs; if you don’t mind though, I would love to know what yours are.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF OUR READERS! May yours be filled with good health, much laughter and peace.

7 Responses to It’s that New Year’s resolutions time again

1. Kevin A. Lewis says:

Ditto to everything with the possible exception of the social media vow; the Associated Press
    just ran a story about “click farms” where people buy likes, views, and other self-promotional presence expanders in bulk, so I still keep this one at arm’s length. (Somewhat sneakier than the Desperation Blogs so many writers maintain to promote their latest project, though) If you want to bulk up a bit without being like the slobs on the Carl’s Jr. spots, try a rock Cornish game hen a couple of times a week-it’s just the right size, tasty, and looks classy on the plate. Plus you can watch Iron Chef America and feel great that you’re having better stuff than they are. And Happy New Year, since the Orient Express has finally been dug out of the snow and is on it’s way again…

2. Katie Newingham says:

As a slight 100 pounder, I hear you on eating more healthy. It’s easy to get away with donuts and coffee, but it effects my energy and my mental strength when it comes to not allowing my children to drive me crazy :~)

I’d like to read Omnivore’s Dilemma and clean up my diet, add running back into my routine (gave it up to have more time to write), finish at least one publishable story (it can be short but it has to be expandable) and enjoy the outdoors more often.

Besides those objective things, I want to improve my attitude, to truly be thankful for all I have, even when I don’t get something I want in my timing. To learn from others, to trust in my skills and abilities and to keep going so that one day I can write something that resonates with readers and maybe challenges the status quo.

3. Kellie says:

Whenever anyone asks me what my resolutions are I usually tell them that I don’t have any, but I do have some goals I have set for myself. My life is an open book and I have no shame, so since you asked I will tell.

I agree with what has already been said about trying be be more health focused in my choices (though it seems I am the odd one out here since I need to lose weight). But, for me, it is going so much farther than just considering food and exercise. At the risk of sounding selfish, my top goal is to think about myself more and what will make me happy instead of depending on other’s happiness to define what kind of person I am. Another goal is to get out of Tennessee. I’ve lived here all my life and finally have reached a point that its possible for me to leave. Also, I need to realize that there is no such thing as the perfect manuscript and stop revising the whole thing every time I rethink where a comma may or may not need to be (exaggeration, but you get the idea).

These are only a few of my goals, but I will save you the full list of how I plan to reinvent myself in the next twelve months. I wish everyone the best of luck on their lists, whether they are resolutions or goals. :)

4. Lynn says:

There seems to be a common thread with some of the comments here. Like you, Jane, I also need to go to bed earlier to get the needed hours of sleep each night. 7 is my goal.

And Like Kellie I need to lose weight. I gained 2 kilos this past year and I’m adamant about getting rid of them. (Okay 4 – 5 lbs, but it sounds better in kilos!)

As Katie mentioned, last year I decided the time I spent on exercise could be better spent on writing instead and the results were not good. (See previous paragraph!) So exercise more is on my list this year.

(Just a side note about Kevin’s comment on Cornish hens, no, no, no! The size is all wrong, they’re too small and look like, well, exactly what they are – a poussin whose life was shortened!)

My goal this year is to finish my WIP! I made a comment recently on Miriam’s post that sounds much like what Kellie said. I, however, was not exaggerating. “I was taking out a comma, then putting it back in, putting a word in, then taking it back out…I would rewrite a passage, let it sit for a week and then realize it was written better before I rewrote it. What can I say…there comes a time to stop and let another pair of eyes read it.”

I could continue, but it’s late (3 a.m. here in Paris) and I’m already breaking that first one to go to bed early!

• Kevin A. Lewis says:

Well, OK, cornish hens are a
      bit diminutive, but Jane weighs 90 pounds and probably lives on coffee and sinkers. A full course meal would probably do her in. Besides, they provide the illusion of style and elegance, much like when I take my wife out to dinner and have the waiter unscrew the wine bottle right there at the table-and if if’s not at least 6 months old, it goes right back!

5. D.C. DaCosta says:

Just my luck to read everyone’s plans to eat more healthily immediate after I’ve downed 1/4 carton of ice cream…which I swore off for 2014.

6. Lynn says:

Omg, thank goodness I wasn’t drinking a glass of wine when I read your comment, Kevin! I would’ve…well, let’s just say, it wouldn’t have been pretty! I couldn’t stop laughing!

Then I was back to normal and read D.C.’s comment and started laughing all over again! Thanks you two! I think I’ll add that to my New Year’s resolution – make sure I get in a good laugh every day! It keeps us young(er) and healthy.