Calling all readers!

One of the things that I love most about publishing is the chance to discuss books with other people who’ve read them, which is actually something I get paid to do.  It’s all well and good to recommend books to people or even complain about them, but celebrating or debating them with people who’ve actually read them is one of my favorite pastimes.

To that end, Jim and I have a mission for you:  let’s all pick a book, read it at the same time, and discuss it together.  We’ve selected four options, and now you can vote for which one we should all read.  We’ll set up a schedule so we can have a few discussions along the way, with the aim that we’ll finish reading by end of May.

So which should it be?  Place your vote in the comments—one book per commenter, please.

Herman Koch’s The Dinner?

Mary Roach’s Gulp?

Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor & Park?

Maria Semple’s Where’d You Go, Bernadette??

On Monday, Jim will let you know who the winner is and the how/when/where of discussing.  So get to voting!

P.S. Three cheers for these authors who all have websites that are easy to find by searching their names, navigate, and link to the book you want!  Koch’s is actually here, but since his website is (understandably) in Dutch, I linked to RH.

UPDATE: Thanks for the votes, folks!  Eleanor & Park was the victor.  We hope you’ll all join us!  Details here: http://www.dystel.com/2013/04/the-abramomccarthy-book-reading-bonanza/

UPDATE 2: Join us tonight, Tuesday, 4/30, at 6 p.m. to discuss the first half of ELEANOR & PARK!  Just follow the hashtag #eandpdglm on Twitter.

13 Responses to Calling all readers!

1. I adored Eleanor & Park! Oh, it was such a wonderful read! (The voice, the prose, the characters… Le sigh.) But I’ve been meaning to read Gulp because I love Mary Roach’s books and so I shall selfishly cast my vote for that!

One vote for GULP!

2. EDWARD says:

An interesting approach to a blog topic. Since Caroline Richmond already stuck her neck out, allow me to make it a second vote for GULP.

3. Caroline Waddell says:

My vote is for Eleanor and Park. It looks so good!! :-)

4. What a great idea! ELEANOR & PARK looks like a fun read and THE DINNER and GULP both intrigue me, but for a good conversation after reading I’d have to go with BERNADETTE!

One vote for BERNADETTE!

5. Ellen says:

Gulp!

6. Kellie Lovegrove says:

I’ve only read the exert from the website and I already love Eleanor’s character. I have to vote for ELEANOR & PARK.

7. Joelle says:

I have both Eleanor & Park and Where’d You Go Bernadette on hold at my library, but it’s unlikely either will come in any time soon (first one’s on order, second one has a zillion holds). I’d be happy to read either, but more likely to buy Eleanor & Park as my friend who I trust a lot LOVED it.

8. Rena says:

Eleanor and Park. Been meaning to read it and I already have a copy.

9. Melissa says:

Eleanor and Park. It’s one of those books that I’ve been meaning to read.

10. Lynn says:

Hands down, The Dinner!

11. Susanna says:

Is voting still open? I’m eager to read ELEANOR AND PARK.

Love this idea!