Dreaming

The other night I had dinner with New York Post columnist Cindy Adams and  I told her that I am always having trouble deciding what to write about in my bi-weekly blog entries and I couldn’t imagine how she came up with at least one interesting and fresh idea every day.  Then, she described the column she had to do for later in the week asking people how they would spend their time if they could do anything they wanted.

So, (and this is related to the post I did two weeks ago) it got me wondering what writers wish they could write if they weren’t writing what they currently do?  Would they switch from fiction to non-fiction?  Would they go from adult mysteries to children’s picture books?  Would they go from cookbooks to memoirs?

So I am putting the question out there.  If you could write something different than what you  currently write, what would that be?

12 Responses to Dreaming

1. Andrea says:

Interesting question… I would be writing (trying to write) literary fiction instead of fantasy. The problem is that my brain always comes up with something fantastical, so maybe one day I can combine the two. :-)

2. A bestseller, of course. : )

3. Kevin A. Lewis says:

I’m pretty much writing what I like and am good at, but I’d like to say that no matter how difficult it may seem sometimes for you guys to come up with a snappy blog post, just the fact you guys are there in real time makes a lot of difference; there’s nothing more annoying or depressing than surfing so-called “agent blogs” where they only get around to saying something every 8 or 10 months-if they’re that busy or disengaged, it’s a waste of my time to try to contact them-not that I don’t enjoy the sight of cattle bones and blowing tumbleweeds down the main street of a supposedly thriving blogspot-so the fact that your agency is actually talking to the world in real time is a big plus…

4. Three books:
    1. Round the world in 80 books
    2. Writing naked: what writing looks like before it gets edited
    3. Guide to the literary world

5. Siri Kirpal Kaur Khalsa says:

I’d dearly love to do for Sikhism what C.S. Lewis did for Christianity in the Narnia books. But neither Sikhism nor my muse find the idea agreeable.

And I’d like to write a novel, or some sort of narrative, with the huge depths of The Brothers Karamosov, but interfaith. It wouldn’t be a family that dysfunctional though.

6. I actually wrote about this on my blog a few weeks ago. I write science fiction and fantasy, and if I weren’t doing that, it would probably be historical fiction. I like doing research and being transported to a different world, both because of the way it invokes my imagination and because I think it creates a powerful mirror to examine universal human conditions and emotions, current society, etc.

7. Ryan Field says:

If I could change at this point, I’d be doing what Cindy’s doing…writing columns and getting a regular salary :)

Side note: if you want inspiration for blog posts you might find it helpful to set google alerts for “publishing news.” This way the information come to you and you don’t have to go out looking for it.

8. D.C. DaCosta says:

I would love to write historical fiction, but frankly, the amount of research necessary is too daunting, especially since I already have so many unfinished works-in-progress. I will do so, though, when I get around to turning my genealogy research into a narrative.

9. Kellie Lovegrove says:

I know this may sound weird, especially coming from a fantasy writer, but I would love to be able to write an epic teaching manual with specific strategies for teaching children within Special Education in the regular classroom. There were so many teachers that I had come to me last year saying they simply do not know how to help the SPED kid in their class but the SPED teacher had no complaints. It would turn out that the regular classroom teacher was not consistently implementing the interventions in the classroom. I completely understand that classroom teachers are very busy and it is hard to do this on top of everything else. This is why I believe if teachers have a better understanding of how to seamlessly implement these strategies then only great things could happen.

10. Joelle says:

Humour. Sketch comedy. Essays. The next SPELLMAN FILES.

11. Simone says:

I’d actually like to write supernatural horror, if I could do it well! I like ghost stories so much.

12. T.K. Thorne says:

I write historical fiction, non-fiction, science-fiction and fantasy, but the most FUN I ever had with writing was a collaborative project with 4 other writers. We were gathered by an editor to take a shot at coming up with an original screenplay for a movie, and we met once or twice a week and a few weekend getaways. Writing is usually a solitary process (and the actual writing was) but creating with other folks was an entirely new experience. Unfortunately, our agent wasn’t able to place the screenplay, and we never saw the “movie” we created, but I am ready to do it again!