Friday Reads

I’ll begin by stating two obvious things:

1. It’s Friday
  2. I like to read (and my guess is that most of you out there do, too).

Why, then, have we never, ever discussed Friday Reads before? Oversight of the grandest scale!*

As any avid reader does, I’m always very interested in what others are reading, too, and am always seeking out new things and recommendations. I don’t, however, spend my days inquiring of everyone I meet, whether or not we have ever seen each other before, about their daily reading choices. But it would be so nice to know! Quickly! And easily!

This is where Friday Reads comes in. Fridays, the loveliest and most leisurely weekdays are bastions of possibility. The whole weekend is wide open ahead of you and you have nothing to do but things that you actually want to do and choose to do. (I’m getting really operatic here, but bear with me). Books are better on Fridays!

Friday Reads offers a forum where readers can post their Friday reading choices for others to peruse, comment on, or take note of. More than just a list of titles and excited notes, Friday Reads aims to raise the visibility of readers. Reading is generally such a solitary pursuit, yet so many people engage in it every day (not just Fridays!). Friday Reads wants to showcase the fact that reading can be a communal pleasure pursuit and encourage everyone to proudly display their literary loves.

It’s also fun to see if others are reading the same book as you or to discover a new title you would never have found on your own. Friday Reads is also accessible on Twitter, with the hashtag, surprisingly, #FridayReads.

Try it! The more people involved, the more opportunities for inspiration, discussion and general warm fuzzy feelings of community there are. My Friday read this week is The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. So far, so (so, so) good! What’s yours?

*Not actually the grandest oversight ever, I don’t think.

8 Responses to Friday Reads

1. Ciara says:

funny i have the weird sisters on my to read pile right now. maybe i’ll start that this weekend.

2. Tamara says:

But you don’t get overwhelmed with the number of tantilizing possibilities? :-)

3. EDWARD says:

I like to read little offshoots that are usually annotations of the original text. I recently got this pathetic copy of Melville’s Billy Budd out of the library. It had footnotes on every page. As I spend the weekdays reading the story, I spend Fridays reading from a growing list of offshoots, other books found in the prolific footnotes that are not necessary to the full understanding of the story, but fun anyway. I knew Melville liked Hawthorne and dedicated Moby Dick to him. A Billy Budd annotation gave the name of a short story, “The Birthmark”, which I had never read. Although the short story by Hawthorne shed little insight into Billy Budd, it did a lot to show why Melville was so impressed by Hawthorne and what, if anything, they had in common. It’s a fun way to read stuff you normally would not read; the annotations to Conrad’s Nostromo are also fun, because he writes in several different languages for flavor. Of course with certain books, like Ulysses, you cannot do offshoots because you would never return to the main text. Good topic.

4. Kim says:

I just finished Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity, and started Kathryn Erskine’s Mockingbird–both powerful books. As my next week and it will be something by Joyce Maynard–she lives part of the year near a house we bought in San Marcos la Laguna, Guatemala and I’d like to say I’ve read her work when I possibly meet her.

5. emily says:

currently loving Nora Ephron’s, “I Remember Nothing.” But on the bedside: a sailing novel set in the time of the American Revolution — my next book.

6. Lorelei says:

Reading Raintree County now, which is magnificent, but at 1,000+ pages is more like a week read than a weekend read.

7. D. A. Hosek says:

Lorelei—I’m guessing you’re also a reader of Cliff Garstang’s blog.

Two recommendations, one just published, one coming out next month: Just published, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. Coming soon: Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple (ignore the awful cover which makes it look like it’s chick lit, it’s really a wonderfully funny picaresque.