Making Room

After a confusing month of wondering whether or not to wear a jacket, layer with a sweater, go bare-legged or long-sleeved, it finally seems like spring is here to stay. Moods are cheery, windows are open and it’s time to turn over new leaves. Odd though it is, I look forward to my Sunday afternoon housecleaning (the kitchen especially) and even more to the big overhaul that comes with the changing of the seasons.

Spring cleaning. Out with the old and in with the new. It’s a great feeling except for one small glitch—sometimes, there’s just so much old to get rid of that I don’t know where to put it! We’ve all posted on this blog about the vast quantity of books and reading we’ve acquired over the years. There’s no room for a third bookshelf in my quaint (read: tiny) little living room in Brooklyn and so we’ve had to go through a bit of an overhaul, as we keep amassing books with nowhere to put them.

Painstaking as it was in some cases, both myself and my roommate have managed to fill a deceptively large shopping bag with enough books to leave us marginal space on the shelves. Deciding which books to get rid of was a process and heartwrench of its own, and so we thought the hard part was over once we’d finally settled. Except now it’s two weeks later and the giant bag of books is still sitting there. The question remains—where to donate?

The options, while not endless, are many. Easiest would be to bring them to the coffee shop down the street that has a little lending library that thrives on donations, but I dump books there all the time. There’s a small library three blocks from my apartment that might benefit from a few more additions. We could cart them into the city and donate to thrift stores or other charity-based bookstores. Surely we could think of friends who would gladly take some off of our hands, too. There’s selling to second-hand shops, online or in the front yard (pretending I have a front yard). Throwing them away is obviously not a possibility (They’re BOOKS!).

While it’s not the worst of dilemmas, it’s one I’m currently facing. What do you do when you run out of space for your books? To whom to they go?

12 Responses to Making Room

1. Kendall says:

If your books are school-appropriate, there’s a great book-matching service called ARCs Float On where teachers in need of books post their information: http://www.reachareader.org/arcsfloaton.php

Or, it’s a little late, but you could always Rock the Drop!: http://readergirlz.blogspot.com/2011/04/rock-drop-download-banners-and.html

2. Julie Nilson says:

I give mine to the library. They keep what they need, and they also have an area near the checkout desk where there are books for sale, usually 50 cents to a dollar or two. Then they have an annual blow-out book sale for the rest too. So I figure that one way or another, the library and its readers benefit (as do I, since giving books to the library is a tax deduction!).

3. YA Writer says:

The Huffington Post book section has been giving excellent coverage to Libraries in crisis. There is a link near the top of the page to catch up with all the articles.

It may be a little work and money (for shipping), but I am sure that one of the struggling libraries they’ve featured would be grateful for the donation.

They’ve also featured cities like Camden, New Jersey, which have literally shut down library services all together. I imagine the school libraries are picking up the slack and may be another good place to donate. I’ve been thinking of doing this myself.

4. Donn says:

I have no qualms destroying books. Just chuck ’em.

5. emily says:

Off-to Half-Price Books. They buy them for pennies and there is a large dumpster out back filled with books which I guess they can’t sell.

Of I buy another bookcase. :)

6. Jane says:

I take mine to the Ronald McDonald house; the parents of children there really appreciate being able to borrow books from the on-site library. A great way to distract oneself…

7. Sarah Henson says:

I can’t bear to get rid of books, so I boxed mine up and stored them in different places (grandmother’s garage, parents’ garage, uncle’s garage, you get the idea), until I had room. We recently bought a house and I insisted on an extra room for just books (they’re also categorized by genre and alphabetized by author and I might have instituted a card catalog system, it’s wonderful! No, I’m not a book nerd…).

When I was little, though, we didn’t have much extra money so I had to swap out books constantly. We had a place called the Book Corner that basically did a swap with you, so all my books ended up there.

8. Khmer Karaoke Superstars My spouse and i was recommended this site by my own cousin. I’m uncertain whether this particular post is compiled by him as nobody else know this kind of detailed concerning my difficulties. You are generally wonderful! Thanks! your write-up about Khmer Karaoke Superstars All the best Veronica Veronica

9. our website says:

I like this blog very much, Its a real nice spot to read and incur info. “I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy.” by Danny McGoorty.

10. I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

11. Thanks for this! It seems like every time I upgrade to a newer model of iTunes, something goes wrong. In the past I had a difficulty where my song names would get cut off when they were too long, but then I was able to retype them back again in without having any difficulty. Of course it was still a challenge because I didn’t remember the names of every single song that got cut off. Extremely frustrating. We have also read that with this newest update a lot of people are having issues with the font being unreadable, which is pretty annoying as well. -Jason

12. Pingback: Paz Shirota