Finally! I have an iPad – now what?

So after coveting an iPad ever since it was introduced I finally acquired the latest version.

As soon as this one was announced, I ordered it online from Apple and was so excited when it arrived.  A day later, after one of my very techno savvy colleagues helped me set it up, we realized it was broken and had to be replaced.  Problem number one!

That crisis was resolved and after receiving an initial tutorial, I was off and running.  Less than a week later I realized that I had used up my monthly allowance of 4G!  How could this have happened?  Because I had no idea what I was doing.

Oh well, time to experiment.  I have changed my subscriptions to The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal so that I read them on the iPad and have found this to be an entirely different experience than reading the actual physical papers.  Frankly, I am not sure that I prefer the digital versions, although over the weekend I found a wonderful review of one of my titles, American Icon by Bryce Hoffman, in the digital version of the Times and it wasn’t in any paper I had that morning (I still receive the physical copies of the paper on the weekends).

What I’m clear on is that there is going to be a learning curve for me and it might be steeper than I initially anticipated (after all I adapted to my iPhone immediately and it has truly changed my life).  I have begun to read books on my iPad but because I am reluctant to take it on the subway, where I do a lot of reading, I still depend more on my kindle for that reading experience.  And many of my friends and colleagues who have iPads tell me they rarely use them outside of their homes – how odd, I think.

Still, I am determined to learn all about this newfangled contraption and so I have scheduled an appointment this week at the Apple store for a tutorial on how to best use my iPad and maximize my reading pleasure as well as using all its other assets and apps.

I would love to find out whether you are enjoying using your tablet devices (iPads or others) especially as reading tools.

16 Responses to Finally! I have an iPad – now what?

1. Tom Mitchell says:

I very much enjoy Flipboard. You receive news aggregation (and social networking stuff) tailored for your interests. It’s now my first port of call for browsing.

2. Juan Gaddis says:

I’ve found that I’m very old fashioned when it comes to reading. Though I’ve read on both the Kindle and the iPad, I much prefer an actual book.

The iPad is great for traveling because it eliminates the need to take a computer (gives it an advantage over the Kindle which alleviated the need to take several books on vacation, etc.) and in that situation I will definitely use it read but only when I’m away from home.

3. I tend to default to my Nook when it comes to digital reading, just because I like the e-ink reading experience better. Also, the Nook is smaller and easier to handle on the bus.

I like the iPad for reading at home, though, and I’ve been using it for reading the enhanced ebook edition of The Hobbit! (Along with physical copies of same in French and German since I’m doing a tri-lingual re-read. :D )

Mostly I use the iPad for email, monitoring social networks, writing if I’m away from home (e.g., at a convention), and playing games.

4. If you have WiFi access at the office and/or home, you should switch to that when there to conserve your 4G allowance. Or switch to a data plan that’s unlimited (if there is such a thing for the iPad).

As far as my own tablet usage goes, I got an HP Touchpad when they were dumped on the market for $99 and use it primarily for email, Googling, and YouTubing. Though I have a Kindle app on the Touchpad, I almost never use it, preferring the e-ink experience, especially when I’m sitting outside on a nice sunny day. My personal belief is that an e-reader should be an e-reader only. There shouldn’t be any temptation to check email or play a game when you’re reading.

5. Aimee Stwart says:

What Dave said.
    Also, you can edit documents you have in your Dropbox or in the Cloud and they will automatically update in the computer. It’s really helpful. In work-related, I like Penultimate, you can use it to brainstorm, take notes, to do a fast sketch of something you want to remember later… It’s like a journal.
    I use my Ipad mostly to read aggregated content – like Flipboard, Zite, etc, and to edit my WIP, when inspiration strikes and I’m not near the PC. There’s also games, although I used to play a lot more than I do now, and then those very useful apps, like calorie tracking, nutrition, yoga, TripAdvisor…
    Still, I though I’d read more in the Ipad, but I still prefer to read the physical copy. And don’t call me old fashioned, ’cause I’m only 23! :)

6. Teri Carter says:

When I got my first iPad, I stood on a street corner in San Francisco looking at Google Maps, trying to find a restaurant. A shop owner stepped out and said, “Ma’am, not for nothin’, but you need to put that away before somebody nabs it right out of your hands!” Who knew.

That was a year ago. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate, absolutely hate, reading on it because the light is so strong, even on the dimmest setting. In the end, I’ve determined I love my paper. I’m still subscribing to real newspapers and showing up at the bookstore at 10 am the day a book is released to buy it. I love, however, having it in a hotel room while I’m traveling — a great way to figure out where I am, where stuff is closest to me, pick up email quick, etc… without having to cart around my laptop or a giant paper map of a new city.

7. Antonia Lewandowski says:

On a weekend morning, walking out on the driveway to pick up my NYTimes, I love the heft of the paper and the quiet shuffle of its pages. Weekdays, reading it online is so different, like stepping through the screen to a more imperative world. I’m considering getting an iPad too, but think it will be useful in managing the Web rather than in the private joys of reading. But who knows?

8. Rowan says:

I miss newspapers when I don’t read them (the paper version, I mean). I try for paper when I can, but not as much as I used to. I read the headlines online, but interestingly I do it on the PC (24inch screen, cable) rather than on the iPad.

90% of my iPad use is reading books, and I absolutely love it for that. 90% of that is done at home. The only reason I don’t take it on the train is that I take a netbook and write there. The iPad doesn’t work for much more than notes.

The other 10% is a quick google of something I want to know. And I put my calendar in the iPad, not in my phone. I don’t know why.

I think it’s the best (and most expensive) eReader around.

9. Rob Brunet says:

I talk to my Xoom.

The gestures and flow encourage me to read things I wouldn’t bother with on a my laptop (where I live most of the day).

The kindle app works well enough to read lighter fiction, but I still buy far more physical books and will treat myself to hardcovers of favourite authors forever.

I carry it to squeeze in reading while waiting for just about anything.

And I talk to it. The voice recognition is easier than screen typing longish notes when I’m kicked back reading with a glass of smokey brandy. Until I start slurring my words.

10. Kim Smith says:

Jane, my best advice is to monitor yourself. Don’t let all this technology but the No or Log into Jane. It’s easy to allow… creeps up on ‘ya. What works for Jane, works with Jane and helps Jane.

Personally, I’m still refusing to blog or buy into smart phones; but, I don’t do what you do.

My splitapart Kenny has every device including a portable wi/fi. “Kim, I can be my own tower!”

Mmm.

Kindle: Very Good (But I have the old/original one)
    A Real Book: Best
    Hardback: A read, re-read, read me again book. And, of course, Atlas Shurgged as the paperback falls apart
    Many of my books: Paid forward to the neighborhood libraries

So Jane: Don’t let technology do you. It’s a tool.

11. Kim Smith says:

Confession: Bought yet another copy of “Elements of Style” recently so I don’t dog-ear my hardback. There are a few sections I want to draw mustaches and horns on. Ah! this is a freedom of core expression one cannot express via any electronic device.

So, keep those crayons handy.

12. I picked up and iPad 2 last December. I love it! I’m connected everywhere I go. Which for me is key. I love facetime. My current cover artist and I chat this way and it’s a lot easier than an email or even a phone conversation.

This is the only Apple product I have and already I see the ease in Apple products. *sigh*

13. What my spouse and i don’t understood is at truth the method that you are no longer actually far more smartly-appreciated than you may well be now. You are extremely intelligent. You already know just therefore significantly in terms of this issue, made me for my personal part picture it from a great deal of numerous angles. Its like people are not really interested except it can be something to try and do with Woman gaga! Your particular person stuffs outstanding. All the time handle that up!

14. Hi Nice blog site. Do you need to visitor post on mine someday? In that case you should tell me via e-mail or just reply to this opinion because My partner and my spouse and i actually subscribed to announcements and will understand should you.

15. you have a great blog here! if you’d like to make a number of invite posts on my blogs?