Make me smile

My computer has decided to stage some kind of hateful protest of late (if it’s not done with that, you can find me standing over its incinerated corpse on Monday), so I’m very far behind—so much so that my brain can’t stop and focus long enough to figure out what my note re: a blog idea was really meant to be about.  I know at one point on Wednesday I was downright inspired.  Alas.

So as an alternative, I’m going to ask you all for some help: the last few books I’ve read, while phenomenal, have been kind of sad.  Especially the most recent two, which ended with me bawling on my couch for about thirty minutes before going to bed all a-sniffle.  Now I love a book that can move me to tears, even the embarrassing all out sobbing kind, but I think I might need something a little happier for a bit.  So I ask you, dear readers, what are your favorite pick-me-up books?  They don’t necessarily need to be purely escapist, just really hopeful, and not in a “dark but ultimately uplifting” sort of way.  For now, I’d like something with an emotional range from fine to cheerful (or just a book where the author doesn’t make me love an amazing character and then allow the world to try to destroy them because why would you do that to me????).

So…what should I read next?

23 Responses to Make me smile

1. Melinda says:

How do you feel about books for 12-year-olds? With the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, the only tears will be from laughing.

2. Sorry – that wasn’t a book, just a palate cleanser. I liked Steve Martin’s Shop Girl – it had humorous moments, and it’s a novella, so you get to your feel-good faster. A.M. Homes’ This Book Will Save Your Life ended on an up-swing, but it takes a while to get there.

3. Tracy Clark says:

I was over the moon for SORTA LIKE A ROCK STAR by Matthew Quick. So uplifting! I did cry at the end but it was that fist-pump happy cry.

4. Eric Steinberg says:

Princess Bride! The ultimate feel good book and movie.

• Sarah Henson says:

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest! Such a fantastic read! I also submit “Homer’s Odyssey” by Gwen Cooper. It’s a happy story about a blind cat (no really, I thought it would be sad, but found myself smiling pretty much the whole way through).

5. Joelle says:

I love the Spellman Files! All four of them, actually. Also, Jennifer Crusie’s FAKING IT. It’s more than chick lit…it’s like a good old fashioned farce. For feel-good imagination in the children’s department, there’s always The Borrowers.

6. Maggie says:

How about My One and Only by Kristan Higgins? She has a snappy, fun style that leaves you smiling. IMHO, this is her best one yet. Happy reading!

7. Tamara says:

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Series. Laugh outloud English-major jokes.

8. Will Grayson, Will Grayson made me laugh…

9. Diana says:

Janet Evanovich. Her books having me laughing so hard that I can’t breathe due to laughter induced asthma.

Susan Elizabeth Philips is another author who has me rolling on the floor laughing. My only complaint with her is that she doesn’t write fast enough.

10. Gill Avila says:

“Good Omens” by Pratchett and Gaiman is absolutely pants-peein’ funny. A friend of mine read it on a trans-Atlantic flight and laughed so much people complained to the flight attendants.

11. emily says:

My two-cents = double down on Jennifer Crusie’s FAKING IT

She broke in with romance novels then FAKING IT was published in hardback by St. Martin’s

What I love about the book, besides the fantastic humour, is the brilliant use of a theme: FAKING IT

The theme is the title.

Every positive character is faking something while every negative character is being true to some deep inner character flaw! Although one of the negative characters is truly faithful to the use of cosmetic products and sincerely believes the advertisements one sees in the likes of WWD, VOGUE, etc. Which is another form of FAKING IT.

Then, like a Shakespearean comedy, everyone is revealed in the end.

The novel could do well with Broadway Musical treatment, in my opinion. I can visualize it as a farce produced something like NOISES OFF for the stage. The failed sex scenes would make hilarious duet comic songs.

12. prefrom says:

По моему мнению Вы не правы. Я уверен. Давайте обсудим.

13. I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting. “What is a thousand years Time is short for one who thinks, endless for one who yearns.” by Alain.

14. Only a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style. “Competition is a painful thing, but it produces great results.” by Jerry Flint.

15. Louboutin says:

During the year 1995 Rautureau Apple was bought by a European shoe conglomerate which an American company was soon able to be purchased. <a href="http://www.jimmychooshoeshome.com/christian-louboutin-lady-peep-150mm-nude-p-817.htmlchristian louboutin 150mm

16. Merely wanna state that this is very useful , Thanks for taking your time to write this. “A sailor without a destination cannot hope for a favorable wind.” by Leon Tec.

17. Webminiacz says:

Great Blog post. I am going to bookmark and read more often. I love the Blog template

18. Its wonderful as your other blog posts : D, regards for posting . “Say not, ‘I have found the truth,’ but rather, ‘I have found a truth.'” by Kahlil Gibran.

19. Rattling good information can be found on web site. “I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted to pleasure.” by John D. Rockefeller.

20. Our Company has has something in mind for anyone when it means talking about money issues. If you need information on what debt lending is then we’re the source you need.