NaNoWriMo Once Mo’

Okay, folks. You’ve got nine days left in NaNoWriMo. How close are you?

As Steph mentioned before she left us, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. Or, as I like to think of it, the reason literary agents are deluged with submissions in January.

It’s a concept I think is great and tons of fun. I think that oftentimes, folks just need to write to see if they have a natural gift for it. And other times, it’s just freeing to purge your thoughts onto the page and see what comes out. You never know where you might find a gem.

I do grumble every year when the most aggressive participants whip out query letters for their still warm (because it’s half-baked) new novel in the first week of December. And sure, looking at the website and seeing that over 2 BILLION words have already been logged this month makes me wonder if I’ll be totally swamped come winter. Hints of curmedgeonly nature aside, it actually makes me incredibly optimistic knowing how much work is being done.

Now we just need National Novel Reading Month!

11 Responses to NaNoWriMo Once Mo’

1. Silver James says:

I first joined the ranks of NaNo-ers eight years ago. I couldn’t quiet my inner editor long enough to actually finish a manuscript. I learned to “write dirty” through to the end and then spend quality time editing. That said, I can’t imagine actually sending out that draft so soon in December. Ack. My agent would divorce me! As to where I am, I’m at approximately 38K words. I’ll be done before the deadline. I’m actually working on a 35K novella for an anthology but I’m filling in lots of backstory and world building that will be distilled and edited down in the final.

I love the idea of NaNoReaMo!

2. I’ve tried the Nano approach, but I’ve found that the time to revise such hastily written stuff nullifies the time saved by writing quickly. The formerly anonomous blogger THE INTERN once suggested a National Novel Revising Month. Sounds like a good idea for December :-)

• Jennifer says:

I went to a write in. I was involved in a write off, or something like that. I wrote 75 well thought words. My competors wrote hundreds of words. Then people would not show them to anyone, because it is not be read. My experience was a turn off. I had writers block for a week following. I’m glad to know that others feel maybe they should be more cautious in the creation process.

3. I’m giving it a go for my first time. Though, I’m already behind at 25k. Like others, I’m contending with an inner editor as well and a lot of writing time is taken by research on what life might have been like for a twelve-year-old paperboy during the London Blitz. I doubt I’ll ‘win,’ but I’ve got some momentum going, putting in about 2500 words a day.

My goal is a first draft by the new year.

And then the real work starts. 😉

4. Lance Parkin says:

It always sounds so curmudgeonly to criticise NaNoWriMo, and there’s no right or wrong way to write things, so if it works for people, it works. But I’m not sure what ‘works’ means in this context.

I understand – believe me – that, as the old saying goes, the hardest part of writing is not getting words on a page, it’s keeping your arse in the chair. Having an excuse or a licence to make time to write is important.

The thing that took me a long time to realise when I was looking for an agent is that agents are not looking for ‘writers’, they’re not even looking for ‘good writing’. They’re looking for specific, complete pieces of work they can imagine touting around to at least several specific editors they know.

If you want to be published (and far from everyone does), spend a month aiming to complete the first chapter of a book. ‘Complete’ meaning writing, rewriting, getting feedback from friends, revising, looking at it again, and ending up with a chapter that reads like it’s done, that’s set up a fantastic book which has got the reader quite some way into the world of that novel and will hook them into wanting to read more. Or write a complete 10,000 word short story, with some awareness of potential markets for it.

5. Ryan says:

I was once contracted to write a 60,000 word paranormal romance in one month for a special book package deal. It was brutal. My eyes were twitching by the third week. We worked round the clock on edits. And while it’s nice to know I could do it, I’ll never do that again.

“Now we just need National Novel Reading Month!”

That’s actually an excellent idea.

6. Andrea says:

Nanowrimo doesn´t work for me. I need a slower pace to fit my writing in with my fulltime teaching job and my other interests, and if I just write for quantity, not really thinking the story through and letting it sink in, I´ll end up with something that doesn´t make sense and that has loads of mistakes.
    Also, I like to finish the first draft of my current project before I start anything new, as you´re supposed to do during Nanowrimo.

Writing lots of words is not that hard. Writing a good novel is, and can take years.

Yes, a National Novel Reading Month would be excellent. Then I could finally finish David Copperfield :-)

7. Emily says:

I joined NaNoWriMo in its second year and for fun I did reach the goal word count [which escapes me now]. But in my area, most writers in the group were college freshmen who wanted to do daring things like haveing a ‘lock-down’ writing night where everyone showed up in jammies allowing males and females to STAY IN THE SAME ROOM ALL NIGHT DRESSED IN THEIR GOWNS AND PJs !!

As a member of the grandparent generation I did not find the idea so attractive so I stayed home and wrote my book.

Curmudgeonly pressing onward through the fog!!

8. Destrey says:

If ifrnomation were soccer, this would be a goooooal!