Everyone’s fans love Stephenie Meyer

My client, the lovely and amazing Victoria Laurie turned me on to an incredibly neat little website today. The literature map allows you to see what other authors are read by the folks you’re a fan of.

Of course, if you’re a published author already, you can use it so see who else your fans are reading. Which I’m sure you would only do for marketing and research purposes, not for some vicarious thrill or subconscious competitiveness. Obviously.

What did I learn from the map? First, I’m pretty sure that no matter what author you put in, their readers have also checked out Stephenie Meyer (I mean…Margaret Mitchell??). Second, the appeal of Jodi Picoult is astoundingly broad. Her readers also commonly read Bill Bryson, Margaret Atwood, Harlan Coben, and Judy Blume. (Theories on why? I’m seriously all ears.) Third, clients shouldn’t send me nifty apps like this because I have such a hard time tearing myself away!

So check it out. Browse around. Report back any fascinating findings. And don’t be afraid to admit that once you got started clicking through from author to author you got sucked down the rabbit hole. I totally get it.

16 Responses to Everyone’s fans love Stephenie Meyer

1. Alyson Greene says:

I don’t know. I’m not sure if the kids reading Rick Riordan’s books are also reading Alexander Pope, John Milton, Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, and Jonathan Franzen.

But yes, this is totally addicting!

2. I’m trying to figure out the shortest number of clicks from Stephen King to Stephanie Meyer.

• Tina B says:

A friend (an avid Stephen King fan) passed this along to me…love it!

“Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.” – Stephen King

• Suilan says:

Stephen King to Stephenie Meyer, let’s see:

first attempt, 3 clicks

Stephen King — Wolfgang Hohlbein — Diana Gabaldon — Charlaine Harris: voilà, Stephenie Meyer

second attempt, 2 clicks

Stephenie Meyer — J.K.Rowling — Dan Brown: voilà, Stephen King

third attempt, one click

Stephen King — Anne Rice: voilà, Stephenie Meyer

3. Cynthia says:

No, but their parents are. LOL

4. Aimee Stwart says:

You get no Meyer’s from George R. R. Martin. That explains a lot. :)

5. Sarah says:

The most amusing ones I found:

Stephen King- fans also like Jane Austen. I laughed out loud at that one.

Ally Carter (YA author)- fans also like Colin Powell and Quentin Tarantino.

6. Lena says:

I found it interesting that there are so few popular genre authors there. Only one romance author I read was there, and I spend tons of money buying romances on my e-reader…in sub-genres, too.

Pardon my observation, but the site is a tad bit elitist and isn’t focusing on a good deal of the reading market at large, especially the people who read three or four e-books a week.

7. Kaitlyne says:

Okay, Pratchett fans also read Haruki Murakami. I really wouldn’t have seen that one coming.

8. Andrea says:

Is there a way to stop the names from floating? It makes me nauseous…

9. Andrea says:

Shakespeare readers don´t read Stephanie Meyer!

10. Fiona Robinson says:

Gosh that’s clever!
    I put in my all time favourite author Jean Auel and up sprung a virtual copy of my bookcase. I first read Clan of The Cave Bear in my teens in the 80’s and have slowly tracked down the others over many years; yet here it was in one click.
    Guess I could have saved myself a lot of discovery??
    There are a few I haven’t heard of so I am picking this is a VERY bad app to know about hehe.