Zombie authors

For the second week in a row, I’m late with my blog post. I’d blame an overabundance of candy corn, but anyone who knows me well would point out that surely I was waiting for the day after Halloween 50%-off candy sale to really go sugar crazy. Too true.

In any case, in honor of Halloween, I have a question for the audience: if you had to reanimate one dead author so they could write just one more book, who would it be?

I’m having trouble with the question myself. It’s easy to say someone like Kurt Vonnegut, but his output was getting a little weak at the end there, so maybe zombie Vonnegut wouldn’t have a ton left to say.

So what about a Bronte sister? Anne and Emily were 30 when they died, so it seems possible there’s some great work that could have come there, but how sad would it be if it turned out Wuthering Heights was a fluke and Emily was a one-hit wonder. Seems like a wasted reanimation.

For now, I’ll pick George Orwell. It’s been 60+ years since he passed away, but who wouldn’t want to know what the writer of 1984 thought of where we ended up. Sure, his next book might be a smug, “I told you so,” but even then…I’d take it.

Any other suggestions?

20 Responses to Zombie authors

1. Redleg says:

Zombie Dostoevsky could finish the trilogy that was to follow The Brothers Karamazov.

2. Melissa says:

I dunno–I think given the chance Vonnegut would get a second wind. I’d buy what zombie Vonnegut was selling.

3. Silver James says:

Dang. Tough choice. I’d have to offer up either Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein. Or H.G. Wells.

4. RamseyH says:

Redleg stole my answer!

5. Nathan Rudy says:

Mark Twain, definitely. Imagine the satirical stuff he could pull out of this day and age!

6. Gina Black says:

The venerable Jane of course! So many Austenesque books are being published these days–even books including zombies–that having her return to give us one more book with great wit and understanding would be such an amazing treat!

7. Paula B. says:

I’m going to cheat because he didn’t write books, but William Shakespeare, of course!

(But if not him, then Charles Dickens for sure!)

8. Gilbert J. Avila says:

Definitely Fritz Leiber Jr. His “Our Lady of Darkness” gave me a nightmare and such a case of the gloomy creeps that my wife asked me what was wrong. I wrote him about it and his reply was that my dream was like something out of De Quincy’s “Confessions of an Opium Eater.”

9. Kristy Shen says:

J.D.Salinger. Holden Caulfield all the way, baby!

10. Emily Anderson says:

Irene Nemirovsky. I wanted to finish Suite Francaise, but alas she was sent to a concentration camp and died.

11. Hillsy says:

(Time to throw some sewage in the soup….hehe)

Robert Jordan. Fine, he’s not the greatest writer, or most groundbreaking, but the fact he won’t be remembered as the man that wrote the Wheel of Time, but as the man who died before he finished it, will be a travesty (Even though I think Brandon Sanderson is doing a great job).

12. V.C. Andrews. Oh, wait. Never mind…

13. Edgar Allan Poe. The guy died when he was forty, but his production up until then was just dizzying. Most writers never pen a masterpiece; Poe cranked out at least a dozen of them in his sadly abbreviated life.

14. For me it has to be Angela Carter. I just *know* there was a Lizzie Borden book that she never got a chance to write

15. For me it has to be Angela Carter. I just *know* there was a Lizzie Borden book that she never got a chance to write

16. Aonghus Fallon says:

Although I thought 1984 was an extremely effective story (and extremely effective propaganda) I used to find the basic premise – the level of camera surveillance necessary – pretty unbelievable. Today the UK has one of the highest (if not the highest) levels of camera surveillance in the world. Sorry George. Seems you were right all along. Sort of.

Most of the writers cited were already past their sell-by date. What about Robert E. Howard? He was only thirty when he committed suicide.

17. Lynn says:

Great question, Jim! I don’t have to think twice about this one, my favorite author, W. Somerset Maugham. I can just see myself now, curled up in my easy chair next to a cozy fire ready to read his newest novel! *Sigh* Pure bliss!!!

18. Gilbert J. Avila says:

Charles Dickens. I’d lock him in a house with a great supply of food and let him finish “The Mystery of Edwin Drood.”

19. Kim says:

If we were talking poets, I’d have to say Emily Dickinson because I’d really like to see the re-write of that “stop for death” poem with a “hey, I’m back!” and a zombie twist thrown in.