The inspiration in strife

The act of writing definitely evokes a feeling in people, that’s for sure. In the past, I’ve covered what you write, how you write, and why you write. But something that I’ve always wondered is how a writer’s external world can affect his or her writing. This funny post from the Thought Catalog makes the point that it’s often easier to write when one is feeling more on the melancholy side of life. I have to believe that there is basis for this. After all, some of history’s greatest writers endured some pretty rough times and undoubtedly wrote while in the midst of them—think Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Mary Shelley.

So now I ask you: do you find that it is easier for you to write when you are sad or upset? Or do you find it easier to write when you are happy? Or is this something that doesn’t factor in to your motivation levels?

10 Responses to The inspiration in strife

1. Ciara says:

Definitely find it easier to write if I’m in a good mood. If I’m feeling down the negative voices just get too much, I can’t work like that. That’s not to say I can’t use those emotions, just that I need some distance.

2. RamseyH says:

I’ve trained myself to the point where I can write regardless of my mood, but I will admit it’s easier to crank out the words when I’m blue. I’m an introvert, and writing has always been the way that I work through my thoughts and feelings. When I’m happy, I have to use that energy to connect with real people, or else I just don’t!

3. Catherine Whitney says:

Nonfiction isn’t easier if you’re feeling melancholy. I guarantee it. Wide awake, energized and inspired is best.

4. I have to say I write better when I feel angsty and sad and melancholic.

5. Lynn says:

I’ve always been at my creative best when I’m sad. It doesn’t matter if I’m composing, painting, or writing, the emotions come pouring out of me without almost any effort at all. Darn! Too bad I’m not sad more often!

6. Hillsy says:

I can’t even write in a search engine if I’m bummed out

7. Tamara says:

Manic. Definitely I’m most productive when I’m manic. :-)

8. Clix says:

Huxley makes that very point in Brave New World.

9. MS says:

When my equilibrium is disturbed I can’t concentrate. It’s a handicap when you’re a writer, believe me!

10. Noel says:

Definitely easier during tough times…it was an escape of sorts for me as I was looking to end my abusive marriage–during the last two years of it–definitely the worst times–I needed the escape that my writing brought me. Now that life is good and I’m happier than I’ve been in countless years, writing definitely proves more challenging–I find it harder to stay focused.