Alright, I did it.

Seeing as you’re reading this right now, you can personally attest to the fact that brevity is not, nor has it ever been, my forté.  This reason, more than anything, has always stopped me from signing up for Twitter.  I’ll admit, I hated Twitter when it first cropped up, but most of my initial annoyances with it seem to have faded away.  I still thought it was not for me:  it takes me roughly 7 times longer to express something simply than to ramble on about it.  And my overly wordy style, even when technically fewer than 140 characters, is probably not really suited to the medium.  Plus, I already spend my Friday afternoons worrying about boring all of you!

But all that ends today.  Today I capitulated in the battle with myself (better luck next time, me) and signed up.  There are things I quite like about Twitter.  It’s a nice way to keep connected with clients and publishing colleagues—especially those I only see at events and conferences.   Some celebrities I enjoy are on there, being amusing or informative.    And I’m a big fan of the clever hashtag (perhaps Twitter’s greatest contribution to discourse).  It’s also a potentially valuable promotional resource, with a bit of luck, and I might as well know the ins and outs of it if I’m going to discuss it with clients.  I’ve been quietly stalking Twitter for some time now (following Twitter accounts via Google Reader), but today I decided it was probably best to actually engage with it.  Now I just need to make a pact with myself to only allow 3 attempts to phrase a thought in the requisite characters or concede it wasn’t worth sharing in the first place.

So Twitter fans, please feel free to come follow me @LaurenAbramo.

Of course, that means I now have to figure out whom to follow, so would you please offer recommendations below?  Authors, publishing folk, and excellent tweeters of all stripes welcomed.

21 Responses to Alright, I did it.

1. Colin says:

Many of your fellow agents are on Twitter, as you probably know, and some of them are quite entertaining. @Janet_Reid is an absolute *must*! Janet tweets quite frequently. @Bpoelle, @SaraMegibow, @jsinsheim, and @RachelleGardner are all worth putting on your list, if you haven’t already. I am reasonably new to Twitter myself, so I’m still finding my tweet feet, and learning how to ramble in less than 140 words. I don’t have a lot of followers, and I don’t tweet a lot, but feel free to follow me: @colin_d_smith.

2. @janefriedman doesn’t tweet often, but tweets good publishing stuff. @elizabethcraig tweets writing advice and publishing news.
    @40kbooks tweets publishing news
    @thecreativepenn tweets writing and publishing advice
    And I (@lkblackburne) tweet publishing news and the occasional neuroscience article.

3. Kristy Shen says:

Welcome to Twitter! I was also hesitant to join at first, but now I’m addicted. If it weren’t for Twitter, I would’ve missed out on the great contests hosted by all the amazing agents out there.

I suggest following @literaticat (agent Jennifer Laughran), editor @MarthaMihalick and @JoSVolpe (agent Joanna Volpe, who is the nicest agent of all agents).

@read4relief is for a great cause and I follow them as well.

Looking forward to seeing you on Twitter! You can definitely count me in as a follower.

4. Joelle says:

Hi Lauren,
    I’m on a Twitter break right now while I work on a new book, but I will follow you next time I sign in. I saw on your profile you like panel shows on the BBC. Do you listen to the News Quiz on Fridays (BBC radio 4)? I LOVE that show! If you haven’t tried it, you should. It’s hilarious. I also like Just a Minute, which is a panel game, but we’re in between series on that one right now. Twitter is fun. Michael is the one who got me on it and now he’s almost never there. However, if you tweet about him, he appears out of nowhere to tell you to get back to writing.

5. Aonghus Fallon says:

Never followed any twitter myself (I’m not on Facebook either) but was interested to see a bunch of Neil Gaiman fans who were converted to his work on the basis of his pithy twitters.

6. I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

7. You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely huge for me. I’m taking a look forward for your subsequent submit, I¡¦ll try to get the cling of it!

8. PeteyHarris says:

There is apparently a bunch to realize about this. I think you made some nice points in features also.

9. There is apparently a bunch to know about this. I suppose you made certain nice points in features also.

10. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

11. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

12. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

13. pride maui says:

I want to express thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular circumstance. After researching through the world-wide-web and obtaining recommendations which were not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was well over. Living devoid of the strategies to the issues you have resolved all through your good article is a critical case, as well as those that might have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t noticed your web blog. Your personal competence and kindness in playing with all the stuff was helpful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t encountered such a step like this. I am able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so much for this expert and result oriented help. I won’t hesitate to suggest your web sites to anyone who needs and wants guidelines on this subject matter.

14. There is clearly a bunch to know about this. I believe you made certain good points in features also.

15. page says:

Regards for helping out, wonderful information.

16. asdgas says:

I was just searching for this information for a while. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.

17. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Kudos

18. The piano bench is a fantastic accessory for just about any residence, check out our website for more particulars.

19. hogan scarpe says:

Hogan Scarpe Donna 2012 NERO/paillettes” Descrizione

20. You are a very clever person!