E-readers keep having babies

Just when I think I have it down as far as whether the Kindle, the NOOK, or the iPad is what I want to use to read my books on, things change.  In fact, these changes can be really dizzying and confusing.

This week, though, there was a development that could simplify things for those of us who use e-readers.  Barnes & Noble and Kobo introduced nearly identical readers that appear to be superior to the bestselling Kindle.

Both the “All-New NOOK” and the Kobo Touch have a number of similarities and some differences.  But both of them have features that make them more attractive to the reader than the Kindle. This of course will force Amazon and the other manufacturers of e-readers to improve their products, and on and on and on. And even though many of these are becoming less expensive, they are still an investment of sorts, and how many do each of us really need?

I guess my question is, which e-reader do I buy next?  I have used my Kindle successfully for two or three years and am feeling it is time for an upgrade.  But I am totally confused by all of the choices available.

I am searching for opinions and advice.  What would you choose?

10 Responses to E-readers keep having babies

1. I just bought one of the new Nooks, actually! I was a previous Nook owner and have found the new one to be a significant improvement. I just put up a full review post over here:

If you’re waffling between the new Nook and the new Kobo, if it were me, my decision point would be how much I might foresee buying books from either site. I’m a long-term B&N customer so that made the Nook more attractive to me–but on the other hand, I also occasionally buy from Kobo’s site, since they sometimes have titles available electronically that B&N doesn’t have. And the Nook talks to those just fine.

2. I’m in a similar situation with an older Kindle. I figure Amazon will announce something new soon–either a nicer Kindle or some sort of tablet–so I am waiting for that, then making a choice.

3. Hazel Keats says:

I used a B&N app on my phone until I received the Nook as a Mother’s Day gift. It’s color and has access to the web and is a touch screen. A friend of mine who has a Kindle wants the Nook when she saw mine. Also my kids use the story book feature where it reads the books to them. The games are fun too.

4. I have an iPad, and while it’s not a light as the Kindle (relatives of mine have Kindels) I don’t have to worry about being stuck with just one source for eBooks. I can download an app.

And I can do lots more on the iPad than just read.

5. Tamara says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing myself, and I’m not sure which way I’ll go. Thanks for asking the question!

However, in the meantime, I love the fact that I can have a bunch of different ereader apps on my droid phone.

6. EEV says:

I’ve been planning on buying an Android Tablet – don’t know witch of them yet, but probably Samsung’s. They converse the best of various worlds: you can read on them, surf the Web, work on anything you have to do, similar if you were on you’re own pc. I love this flexibility and usefulness.
    - EEV

7. Lisa Marie says:

Hmm. It sort of makes you wonder which devices will become the Beta and VHS of e-readers, doesn’t it? I don’t have an e-reader for that reason. There’s just too much on the market now, and $200 is still $200. I’m waiting until prices drop and I get a better feel for which device will come out ahead in the consumer market. If I purchased one right now, it would be the Kindle. Because Apple products are built like rocks.

• Steve says:

I have a Kindle and love it. I got it because most books are too heavy for me to hold aorynme. It was definitely a comfort thing for me. Otherwise, I’d rather get library books and not buy them. I haven’t tried to borrow an e-book from the library yet, but I’ll get there. And, like Bev, I love having to worry about running out of something to read when I’m not at home.

8. Dawn Simon says:

I have a Nook. I love being able to buy e-books from my local independent bookstore!

9. Joelle says:

Did you ask Michael Bourret? He’s obsessed with this stuff!