Favorite Food Blogs

As those of you who frequent our blog know by now, I represent a good number of cookbooks and narrative books about food and wine. It’s a category that has changed a lot since I started agenting almost 13 years ago, and we’ve seen a lot of trends come and go during that time. Chef books, single ingredient books, lifestyle cookbooks (vegetarian, now vegan), reality TV and Food Network personalities have all had their place in the market, and many continue to thrive with the right combination of elements.

One relatively new phenomenon we’ve been seeing over the last couple of years (and will be seeing a lot more of in years to come) is the rise of the food blog-to-book. There is such a strong network of writers in this community that it’s become a fast growing and successful subculture with a world and language all its own, not to mention a whole bunch of writers’ conferences. I represent a number of the members of this community, including the amazing Shauna James Ahern of glutenfreegirl.com, who was really at the forefront of this emerging market.

I work closely with many authors and editors to tap into new talent, and it’s become an interesting conversation to see which bloggers are getting book deals, which ones have growing stats, and which ones are rising above the pack in terms of subject, content, photos, or voice. There are so many that it’s sometimes hard to keep up with what’s out there! I’ve been very fortunate to have authors and editors who have referred me to some great food bloggers, and I’m really eager to see what happens as many more of these books are published in the coming months and years. There are definitely critics out there who think it’s a trend and that publishers are overpaying for some of these books (there are at least a couple of recent sales that topped $500k), but we’re seeing sales that suggest otherwise. Heidi Swanson of 101cookbooks.com is a successful blogger whose most recent book has been selling very well and has hit top 10 on the New York Times bestseller list.

So, it does seem to be a lot more than a trend, and I’d love to hear from our blog readers what your favorite food blogs are, and what makes them your favorites. Is it the recipes, the photos, the writing, or something else that keeps you coming back for more?

8 Responses to Favorite Food Blogs

1. Thanks for your post, Stacey.

This is the link for Danny Klecko’s blog – opinionated midwestern baker and funny guy. I enjoy his sense of humor.

Bakespace.com is an awesome site. They also sponsor Cupcake Camp L.A., a cupcake themed charity that totally rocks. Last year they donated to Angel Acres, a horse rescue as well as a tortoise rescue and a charity for the homeless.

Best,

Pam DuMond

Author of Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys

2. As I’m gluten-free myself, I love the Gluten Free Goddess blog for its amazing recipes. I’ll have to check out Gluten Free Girl as well. Thanks for the link. :)

3. Danny Klecko says:

Mad Love for the shout out kid.

4. Sara says:

I think food blogs are wonderful, especially the ones with a story, that write about more than just recipes (their relationship, struggles with food, etc.)

Oh She Glows is my absolute favorite. I faithfully read it everyday both for recipe ideas and inspiration as I recover from my own eating disorder.

5. Stacey says:

Thanks so much for the feedback. Some great suggestions. Keep ’em coming!

6. emily says:

Oh, I LOVE 101cookbooks — so beautiful, and the recipes are incredibly reliable.

Another blogger I love is cucinanicolina, at http://cucinanicolina.com, for the healthy recipes but mostly for the writing/photography, which is lovely and usually thought-provoking.

Also love sprouted kitchen, at http://sproutedkitchen.com, and food woolf, at http://foodwoolf.com.

7. Bethany Neal says:

Thanks to your post my stomach’s growling, Stacey. :)

I actually have a friend who has a cooking blog called This Woman Cooks. (http://thiswomancooks.blogspot.com/)Knowing her personally, the title isn’t just a play on words. She’s Latina which is help enough, but she’s also well read and a lovely, generous person who LIVES for food but still manages a fabulous figure.(I swear this is not why we’re friends since I live for food and die at the thought of cooking.)

8. kelly says:

Just read your article. I’ve been recently really into http://www.abrightmenagerie.com/. The writing I find hilarious and it’s definitely meant for someone with a good sense of humor. The site itself is cool too, but it’s her writing that keeps me coming back for more. She’s def not the typically food blogger, way more cynical and sarcastic and, for me, interesting.