The importance of reading…even for us!

Recently, I was looking to see what my son’s schedule was going to be at the end of his college semester (he is in the second term of his freshman year at the University of Michigan) and I saw that he had a reading week before his final exams. “A reading week,” I thought, “what a wonderful idea.”

As agents, we are so busy reading proposals and manuscripts from clients and prospective clients, as well as trade articles for our information and education that we simply lose perspective on what else is going on out there in the world. But, during our work weeks—and I tend to work until 10:30 every night at least—there is simply no time for anything else.

And so, I have decided to take a reading week this week in order to read for pure pleasure. Ironically, the first thing I am reading is a manuscript from a client’s soon to be published book, and I am just loving every minute of it. Next, I plan to finish this month’s DGLM book club book, THE FINKLER QUESTION, then it’s on to Vanity Fair and, after that, I am just not sure.

I wonder if any of you have recommendations for other fiction I might read during my reading week. And, what would you choose to read if you were to do what I am doing?

8 Responses to The importance of reading…even for us!

1. Amy says:

The last book that bowled me over was LET’S TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME. Short and bittersweet.

2. Catherine Whitney says:

Hi, Jane. Sounds like a great week. Don’t forget non-fiction, which can be as delicious as fiction. Two recent favorites of mine are MY KOREAN DELI by Ben Ryder Howe, and JACKIE AS EDITOR by Greg Lawrence.

3. Gotta say that it’s hard to open anything else after getting to this month’s Vanity Fair. Did you see the cover? Rob Lowe. Just sayin’.

4. Jac Urist says:

Hi Jane- I am a huge Meg Wolitzer fan. Her lastest The Uncoupling is SUPERB and I’m only 100 pages in. As for non-fiction, I also loved How To Write A Sentence (Stanley Fish) and Spousonomics. happy reading!!

5. Jac Urist says:

Hi Jane- I am a huge Meg Wolitzer fan. Her latest The Uncoupling is SUPERB and I’m only 100 pages in. As for non-fiction, I also loved How To Write A Sentence (Stanley Fish) and Spousonomics. happy reading!!

6. Joelle says:

I first heard of the reading week from my friend at a Canadian U. Great idea, eh?

How about something Canadian? I love BOW GRIP by Ivan Coyote.

7. Stephanie P. says:

Tea Obreht’s The Tiger’s Wife. The writing is beautiful and it has gotten great reviews, and it looks like sales as well.

8. Jo Perfilio says:

I loved it. Made me giggle, cry and randomly raid my fridge.
    Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef