Reading redux

This week, I wanted to pass along this link from the Huffington Post which asked readers to submit novels they enjoy rereading. Personally, I think it’s great when I can pick up a book and read it cover to cover, enjoying each page along the way. It’s even more rewarding when I read a book that makes such an impact that I find myself interested in revisiting it, either soon after or even years later.   I know, for some, rereading a book is just not in the cards—I’ve read it once, why do it again? I can understand that, but often I find that rereading a novel will introduce me to a new novel entirely: depending on how much time has passed, the themes and meanings might resonate with me differently, not to mention that many times I’ll find something in the second read that I had missed the first time around.  Either way, I think the list given offers some excellent examples, with To Kill a Mockingbird and The Picture of Dorian Gray among my favorites.  I think I’d also include A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but that’s just me.

Do you have certain books in particular that you find yourself rereading?

10 Responses to Reading redux

1. I’ve read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez three times, twice while living in Latin America. Changing the setting where I read something like this can add a new dimension.

2. My two favorites, which have been reread at least several times, are SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE by Kurt Vonnegut and SPIN by Robert Charles Wilson. I pick up on new themes and ideas each time.

I’ve also become interested in rereading some of my favorite books from childhood and adolescence to see what new things I can pick up on them in my adulthood: ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS by Scott O’Dell (so much more tragic to me now), JACKAROO and THE WINGS OF A FALCON by Cynthia Voigt, and so on…

3. Kaitlyne says:

Guilty pleasures. Firestarter by Stephen King, Lightning by Dean Koontz. A couple of years ago I even picked up an old young adult novel I’d read multiple times when I was thirteen, and I still enjoyed it.

For me it’s the books I can just get sucked into and enjoy the story that I’ve read the most, though I do get yearnings to reread others. Lately I’ve been wanting to reread World War Z, and I almost certainly will as soon as I can get my hands back on my copy. There are a couple of Terry Pratchett books I could read over and over and still enjoy.

Granted, there are also a couple of others that I read in college that I’d like to reread, such as the Count of Monte Cristo and a Tale of Two Cities because I feel that I didn’t get as much out of them as I could have. Back then getting through some of the language was difficult enough that it detracted from my enjoyment, but I think I would read them now with a new appreciation.

4. Suzi McGowen says:

Wen Spencer’s Ukiah Oregon series. Wen Spencer’s “A Brother’s Price”. Patricia Brigg’s Mercy Thompson series.

These are my “comfort” reads. Books that I have read until they’ve fallen apart. Books that were the first things I replaced after being in that totalled car accident. Books that remind me that when I re-read a book, I still want to disover new things and new layers to the characters.

5. Dara says:

Jane Eyre is one that I’ll read over and over again. I simply love that book. I’ve read it four times since high school and I’ve found new things in it every time I’ve re-read it.

There’s also a few series that I’ll read again, like Francine Rivers’ Mark of the Lion trilogy. The research and depth of that trilogy always amazes me–I’ve read that series about five times and still find myself taken away to first century A.D. Rome.

6. Reading books twice is such a delicious pleasure. Ian McEwan’s _Saturday_; Haruki Murakami’s _Kafka On The Shore_. W.G. Sebald’s _Austerlitz_. Those are a few from the past several years. As a young adolescent I read _The Hobbit_ and _Lord of the Rings_ so many times I think I’m embarrassed to admit how many. Ditto for _Love Story_ (now *that’s* making me blush.) When I was too young to read I used to demand my mom read _Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book_ every single night and if she left out a word I would snap awake out of my almost-slumber and make her go back and read it right.

7. Rowenna says:

I need to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! I sped through it the first time…ah, another title on the teetering pile on my imaginary nightstand!

I could definitely read Atonement again…and I’m with Kristin, I’d like to reread some of my childhood favorites.

8. When I was sick as a child, my mom would put me to bed in her room which was on our first floor. My parents had a bookcase headboard with a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I reread it each time I was sick–which was often since I seemed to always have strep throat.

Jane Eyre is another I’ve read at different stages of my life. I just went to the movies and there is another film version due out soon. That book resonates.

9. Teri C. says:

I can’t imagine not reading certain books again and again. I learn/feel something so different each time. Sophie’s Choice, Cat’s Eye, Affliction, A Thousand Acres, Beloved, The Prince of Tides, Bastard Out of Carolina, The Liar’s Club, Slaughterhouse-Five, short stories by Richard Yates, TC Boyle, and Raymond Carver.

10. Denise says:

I could re-read The Chronicles of Narnia every six months and be very happy!