Fun with QR

When I stumbled on the delightful Books2Barcodes site at Wonder Tonic, it renewed my interest in QR code.  I’ve been seeing it around, but didn’t totally understand the purpose and, having only a sad old flip phone, I’d never tried it out.  My awareness grew when a Lupe Fiasco QR code projected on a building I can see from my desk caused a bit of a stir here in Union Square, and now that there are books involved (for the first time I’ve noticed, anyway), it’s time to learn.

So I reached out to digital strategist (and friend of DGLM) Dan Scholz for some help understanding, since I’ve been hearing him talk about it for a while now.  Here’s what he told me:  QR (quick response) code is a two-dimensional barcode that’s primarily useful for dynamic and interactive event and promotions marketing.  Essentially, QR code, invented in Japan several years ago, is a specialized barcode that camera-equipped smartphones can read using barcode reader apps.  You see the code—on the side of a building, in a magazine, on the Books2Barcodes website, on a waffle—and then scan the code using your phone.  That code links to something, often a website with some kind of pre-order or sales information.  According to Dan, the audience for this has been very tech heavy for a while now, but started to reach a tipping point last fall.  The market penetration has gotten much bigger, and 2011 should be a very big year for QR code marketing.

Not having a smartphone myself, I borrowed Stacey’s yesterday to try out Books2Barcodes.  I didn’t have the greatest luck scanning off my computer, I think due to the glare on the screen, but I finally managed to scan the barcode in the page header—and lo and behold, text popped up:  “Call me Ishmael.”  I can’t imagine reading a book in 800-character fragments (which is apparently what the barcodes I couldn’t manage to scan would’ve provided), but I love the ingenuity, and the gimmick draws attention to a fun new opportunity for publishing.

So how can authors and publishers use it?  The internet is full of free QR code generators, so I googled, picked one at random, and used QuikQR to create this one:

You know you wanna scan it.

Smartphone users, why don’t you give it a shot?  (And hey, while you’re there, why not click that little like button?)  If you don’t already have a barcode scanner on your phone, there are a number of free ones to download, including RedLaser, the one I used to scan Moby Dick on Stacey’s.

So what do we think?  Passing fad or technology of the future?  Fun gimmick or serious marketing opportunity?  Have you seen publishers and authors using QR codes?  Any code generators or barcode scanners to recommend?  And what do you see as the possibilities for book promotion here?  Certainly there are some straightforward options, like directing people to Facebook, websites, pre-order links, and giveaways.  But what about something more exciting?  Dan mentioned that one of the greatest things about QR code marketing is that you can generate it for YouTube videos—when scanned, the smartphone’s YouTube app opens right up to the video in full screen with no extra clicks.  I’m not totally sold on book trailers, but I can imagine it working in this context—it’d be a really fun way to expose people to them!

20 Responses to Fun with QR

1. Suzi McGowen says:

Unfortunately, I got certificate warnings when I clicke through.

I’m getting QR codes on my bills, so I don’t think they’re a passing fad. I’m still waiting (and wracking my own brain) for really creative uses for them, though.

• Lauren says:

Hmmm…I wonder if that’s a function of your phone settings or the QR code generator or Facebook. Well, just imagine it took you to our Facebook page! It’s like magic, but faulty magic that’s more practical and less exciting.

2. Dara says:

I don’t have a smartphone because I’m cheap :P Probably won’t get a smartphone until the monthly payments for one goes down in price. I’d like to get one–I just wish they weren’t so flippin’ expensive!

• Lauren says:

Cheapness is my issue, too. It’s not so much the cost as the principle. Why should I double my phone bill? So I can have a toy I really want? Some day I’m going to break down, but till then, my trusty flip phone and I will just have to stick it out.

3. Bethany Neal says:

I too have a sad flip phone. *sigh* Thanks for the schooling though. I’ve been squinting at these b/w squares in Entertainment Weekly for weeks now going, “Huh?”

4. Oh, fun! I can think of a fair number of uses for this!

As to my iPhone, I started out very worried it would be too expensive etc etc, but it’s so much more than a phone and makes it just about painless to communicate/work/manage that you’ll pry the phone out of my cold dead hands.

5. Mary Nock says:

With the whole thing which seems to be developing throughout this specific area, all your viewpoints are actually somewhat refreshing. On the other hand, I beg your pardon, because I do not subscribe to your entire theory, all be it radical none the less. It appears to me that your commentary are generally not completely justified and in fact you are generally yourself not completely certain of your assertion. In any event I did enjoy examining it.

6. love spells says:

Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand a lot about this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you just can do with some % to pressure the message house a little bit, but other than that, that is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

7. Tu billete says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a great example of it.

8. I together with my guys were analyzing the nice tips found on the website and then all of a sudden got a terrible suspicion I never thanked the web blog owner for those strategies. These men had been totally joyful to read through them and now have truly been tapping into these things. Thank you for truly being so considerate and then for pick out such beneficial areas millions of individuals are really desirous to be informed on. My very own honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

9. I think other website proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and fantastic user genial style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!

10. seo toronto says:

I like this blog very much so much superb info.

11. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

12. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

13. I’m astounded by the versatility captured here. These looks, even with such a distinctive patterned dress, are completely different in shape, reference and style. Masterful.

14. Thank you for another fantastic article. Where else may just anybody get that type of info in such a perfect approach of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such info.

15. beach body says:

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

16. you have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

17. Tyle piszecie o zbiornikach z betonu, a co z a platikowe?

18. Sprawdzalem ten serwis jest super