Stephen King’s pop culture

by Miriam

I’m a fan of Stephen King’s work…in Entertainment Weekly. His stuff for the magazine has a playfulness and wit, not to mention brevity, that is often missing from at least his most recent (and by recent I mean the last 15 to 20 years) long form writing. I find his recommendations for films, music and, of course, books, always intriguing and occasionally baffling—and those are the best kind. Here are his Top 6 summer reads. I know at least four of them will make their way onto my night table pile.

7 Responses to Stephen King’s pop culture

1. Kristi Helvig says:

I heart Stephen King. I already have Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Passage on my bedside table–I can't wait to read them.

2. Anonymous says:

Not a single book by a woman author. Just saying'.

3. Kristin Laughtin says:

Anonymous makes a good point. I'm interested by his description for several of these books, and I read a LOT of books by male authors (especially since I read a lot of SF), but these do all seem like "guy" books. Although a lot of women do seem to like THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO… It would have been nice to get at least one female author in there.

4. *Jen* says:

I subscribe to EW and noticed he didn't pick any female authors either. He does seem to like JK Rowling though–he wrote the mostly glowing Deathly Hallows review a few years ago.

5. Vodka Mom says:

I am one of many who adore Stephen King's work. I've read "On Writing" too many times to mention. I love the way his words flow- he makes me feel as if I am just listening talk. I know it's what most writers intend to do – however, he really pulls it off.

Thanks for the link!

6. Vodka Mom says:

perhaps I meant to say "listening to him talk", but it's 7:00 on a summer morning, and frankly I should be in bed.

:-)

7. Vodka Mom says:

and my word verification was trannies. THAT made me laugh.