Summer reading for kids

by Stacey

Now that unofficial summer has begun, I find myself thinking about all the things I want to do that I don’t have time for this summer, including lots of summer reading for the whole family. Because my oldest daughter is starting kindergarten in September, I thought it would be fun to check out this summary from about.com for a varied assortment of summer reading lists for kids.  It’s a very eclectic collection of lists, and titles, and I’m hoping to be able to track down at least a few new books for us all to enjoy this summer, before it’s too late and we’re talking about back to school!

5 Responses to Summer reading for kids

1. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

Interesting list. I have a hard time with many of the lists because my kids are advanced readers — my seven-year-old (just finishing second grade) devours the Little House books — and wants all books to be as long and complex. Sometimes, the subject matter isn't right for someone so young.

My son is even more difficult. He's going into fifth grade and is also an advanced reader, but totally rejects fantasy — including Harry Potter (but not Erin Hunter) — and isn't that into sports. Most books aimed at boys are for one subsection or the other.

Our library gets a LOT of use this time of year.

2. Elizabeth Flora Ross says:

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Christopher Francis says:

Christopher Francis said…
    I teach grade 5 and find that a lot of the boys are more interested in graphic novels. There is a series I used to read a child called "Asterix". There are roughly 35 books with wonderful illustrations. My students absolutely love them!

4. Higley Browne says:

My oldest son devours Manga books and Anime. My 10 yr old reads anything from fantasy to pokemon chapter books. He really got into the Percy Jackson series, read them all in just over a month.

My girls are smaller, but still voracious readers like me.

We just spent a couple hours at the library today, and signed up for our local "Summer Reading" program. For every X amount of reading, they get small prizes. They've been reading all day :) Most local library's have programs like this.

5. Christopher Francis says:

Higley, do you set aside time each day for your kids to read? I don't have kids myself, but I make a point of giving my students at least 20 minutes a day. I love how engrossed they get into a book, even a lot of my energetic boys. I think once they gain confidence in reading and exploring different genres, they open so many more doors.