Tweeting sentences

by Rachel

I’m one of those readers who underlines everything in my books. I can’t help it. I see a great sentence and I have to make a note of it. So, I was happy to find this Vulture post by Sam Anderson which explains his new project of tweeting his favorite lines from books. Also, I’m a library member, and not being able to underline favorite sentences in books is starting to drive me mad, so perhaps putting down that highlighter and finding a new place to log all my favorite sentences is the way to go.

Just out of curiosity–because I love finding or hearing about unique and interesting sentences in books–do you have a favorite sentence from a book you’ve read?

12 Responses to Tweeting sentences

1. Kim Batchelor says:

The line that has always been my favorite: "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distance afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. Tiffany Neal says:

This IS brilliant. I love it! I have a zillion favorite quotes, but one of my most recent ones is from Unwind by Neal Shusterman. "Stupid dreams. Even the good ones are bad, because they remind you how poorly reality measures up."

3. M says:

My favorite: "You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style." ~ Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

4. Nicole says:

"I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed – or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed." – Hermonie Granger, Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone

5. Linda Johnson says:

"But the secret was like a wedge of politeness."
    Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

6. Redleg says:

"Every one of us is responsible for everyone else."
    – Feodor Dostoevsky as Dmitry Karamazov, The Brothers Karamazov

7. Delilah S. Dawson says:

I believe in everything, nothing is sacred. I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
    – Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

8. Gilbert J. Avila says:

Cover tag from Michael Stackpole's
    "A Gathering Evil."

"He woke up in a body bag; things went downhill from there."

9. Anonymous says:

Great opening sentence from The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson: "Accidents ambush the unsuspecting, often violently, just like love."

10. itty bitty inkslinger says:

There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
    C.S. Lewis

11. Anonymous says:

"The road to hell is paved with fabulous men."
    Marta Acosta