Don’t quit your day job

by Chasya

The Millions has a good article that delves into the myth of the rags-to-riches career novelist. It’s a well-known, albeit depressing, reality in the publishing industry that most authors don’t have the luxury of writing full-time and supporting themselves through their work. But authors–don’t worry, you’re not alone! As the article points out, and as we can’t stress enough, as much as we’re obsessed with the J.K. Rowling-esque stories of writers who came from nothing and succeeded to become the most famous (and wealthy) authors of our day, this is the exception–not the rule. And, as it turns out, keeping your day job can benefit most of us. Among the perks? Well, being in the everyday world and gleaning from your everyday experiences. And, er, eating. Yes, that’s important! Because as much as we all have that curmudgeonly chain-smoking, black coffee drinking stereotype of an author in our minds, it’s important for even the most obsessive writer to keep up their strength.

10 Responses to Don’t quit your day job

1. Tiffany Neal says:

Darn. No quitting my job just yet…

2. Anonymous says:

Unless you have a significant other with a good hob who can support you while you devote your time to writing!

3. Colette says:

And don't forget medical insurance!

4. David says:

I take it this goes double for those of us just getting ready to query …

5. Robert Kent, of Robertkent.net fame says:

I quit smoking this year and I drink my coffee with milk and sugar. I also own no tweed! None. And I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve! Some days I have to remind myself I'm still a writer.

Also, I like my day job.

6. Angie Ledbetter says:

The benefits don't hurt either, but yeah, eating is always nice.

7. Falen says:

unfortunately for my day job, i work at home, so a lot of those perks go right out the window with my dress slacks.

8. The Daring Novelist says:

Let us not forget health insurance! (I can save my own retirement money, I can grow my own food, but health insurance… that's a kicker.)

9. annerallen says:

Colette and The Daring N. have already said it. We're all working to support the medical-industrial complex. Everything else is a hobby.