The new Oprah: Glenn Beck?

This New York Times article on Glenn Beck as the Oprah of the thriller community could have larger implications for the publishing business if Beck’s popularity stays at a high (though hardly anyone has the longevity of an Oprah). But it strikes me as an odd and interesting mix of elements to have such a significant impact: one, because he’s so conservative and publishers and authors tend to be more liberal, and two, because he focuses so heavily on one genre, thrillers. That said, in my mind, it’s nice to see both sides getting along and any outlet that helps to sell books in this market is worth looking at very seriously, especially since we hear Oprah, who has had her share of ups and downs when it comes to book publishing, might be moving on in the next couple of years.

-Stacey

6 Responses to The new Oprah: Glenn Beck?

1. Aimee States says:

Something tiny and weak just died inside my soul.

2. Ginger B. (Barbara) Collins says:

Publishers want to sell books. If Glenn Beck can get readers into bookstores or shopping online, publishers will see past the liberal/conservative tags and make the most of the opportunity. When you are drifting on the life raft you don't ask the rescue boat who they voted for in the last election.

Ginger B.

3. Em-Musing says:

I agree that, "Any outlet that helps to sell books in this market is worth looking at very seriously." But I wasn't aware that authors are mostly liberal.

4. joelle says:

He can't actually be the new Oprah because I have no idea who he is. And I bet I could find ten people who had no idea who he is, but every one of us knows Oprah.

5. Malanie Wolfe says:

Great post Stacey! I think I would rather go on Ellen or Bill Maher's show to promote my book.

6. african american writers says:

@Ginger and Em-musing: And not only that, if Beck could get the publisher, his book and himself on New York Times, then he's fine with me :)