Adina Kahn talks about nonfiction platforms

When discussing nonfiction proposals with editors, the question that I am asked most commonly is: What is the author’s platform? Editors want to know if the authors have written for any publications, whether they have an established website or blog, and if they have recently done any media appearances or speaking engagements.

It isn’t always enough to simply be an expert on the subject you are writing about. In order to catch an agent’s or editor’s attention, you want to already have a built-in readership. The best proposal not only proves that you are the perfect person to tackle the topic at hand, but also shows that people already look to you for the answers.

Obviously, being a recognized name helps matters when selling a book. Stephen Colbert, Alan Greenspan and Bill Clinton did not need to do much to persuade their publisher that they could sell books. Sometimes a celebrity can help build buzz around your name without you having to do a thing. Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin’s SKINNY BITCH was selling nicely, but Victoria Beckham ensured that they hit the bestseller lists when she was spotted carrying a copy of their book.

Of course, not every author is this lucky. Very often it is the authors’ responsibility to get their own name out in the public eye. There are some simple and inexpensive ways to do this. Pitch articles to publications. Get endorsements from recognized names in your field. Start a website or a blog (of course, you also have to make sure people are actually reading them.) In AUTHOR 101: BESTSELLING BOOK PUBLICITY Rick Frishman and Robyn Freedman Spizman emphasize the importance of platforms and discuss in detail how to create your own promotional campaign for a book.

Of course, there are still many cases where an author’s stellar credentials or inspiring memoir will ensure that a book gets sold, regardless of whether or not anyone has ever heard of the writer. The strength of the material will always be the number one reason a book ends up getting sold.

It may seem logical that a platform can only be established after a book is published, but when trying to get an agent or editor’s attention it is not a bad idea to come to them with a built-in audience. Perhaps Victoria Beckham will eventually pick up another book, and perhaps that book will be yours, but until then it never hurts to work on building your platform.

7 Responses to Adina Kahn talks about nonfiction platforms

1. Wanda B. Ontheshelves says:

A Fiction Platform Wouldn’t Hurt, Either

From what I am seeing online, “name recognition” is the new mantra for novelists too – or at least, one of the ways that first-time “Wanda B. Ontheshelves” writers beat themselves up – not being Laurel K. Hamilton or Stephen King.

I love marketing. Constructing a “built-in audience” is half the fun of writing a novel! Right now I picture in my mind those “scratch and sniff” magazine inserts for perfumes…I’d love to receive one of those in relation to a mystery novel, that used a perfume as a plot element somehow – off the top of my head I imagine Hercule Poirot’s aftershave.

It’d be great to have a perfume company create a “signature fragrance” for one of your characters – if Beanie Botts All-Flavor Beans for kids, why not a perfume for adults? Even approaching perfume companies with such a request (and publicizing that you are doing so), might generate some buzz for a “no-name” novelist (with a solid book, of course).

***

Seems like marketing for novels (even “literary”) is in dire need of…updating? Expansion? Exploration of all five senses?

But what do I know…I’m just another –

Wanda B. Ontheshelves

2. Anonymous says:

To provide a different perspective, I personally never want to consider my platform. Other people can talk about it, if they want, and my lack of one can keep me someday from reaching more people. But I just don’t enjoy thinking about it, or doing anything to “build” it.

I understand why, especially in this day and age, every question revolves around platform. I understand why agents think about it, why publishers think about it, and why some authors think about it. For me, it’s completely boring and time-consuming (I have to assume), and too much of an insider game. I don’t write non-fiction because I want to be an expert, and I don’t write magazine articles because of platform considerations. I write when I feel like it because I enjoy it.

I can see why people that love marketing would love the idea of building a platform. I hate marketing, and I especially hate marketing myself. But I do end up getting non-fiction published sometimes, enough to eek out a living…so even for platform-phobic writers, it can work.

3. Wanda B. Ontheshelves says:

Re: “I Hate Marketing”

Marketing as in, having to stand by a toaster oven in a white apron at a grocery store, offering low-fat pizza samples? Or, the marketing-my-candidate-instead-of-Avon lady I once saw hurrying ahead of a presidential candidate, desperately making the preacher’s “let us all rise now” gesture toward the too-quiet crowds? Or, worst of all (in my opinion), the salespeople across America who cold call on small companies, handing over business cards to receptionists who will not under any circumstance buzz them in (I know, I was one of those receptionists).

Maybe your concept of marketing doesn’t involve the above (painful, humiliating) scenarios. Maybe marketing really does just seem “boring” “time-consuming” and “too much of an insider game” to you. But another way of viewing marketing is, simply sharing your enthusiasm for your subject matter with others. That’s not painful or boring, is it?

I don’t consider myself a nonfiction writer. But yesterday I tried to come up with a nonfiction title that I would enjoy marketing. I came up with “Poor Woman’s Bonsai,” which is about the wonders of Coleus, an inexpensive plant that can easily be turned into little trees (bonsai), by progressively pinching off the lower branches. Growing real bonsai is daunting: Cost, temperature control, etc. But Coleus is a snap, I mean, pinch! Just pinch off the branches/buds/flowers you don’t want, and you’ve got yourself a tree!

Right now I have a Halloween vignette going on underneath a pair of Coleus trees (Colsai?) I planted in one pot – a mummy piano player, witch and skeleton dancers, a ceramic haunted house. I wouldn’t mind approaching local greenhouses about a 400-piece postcard mailing, featuring a photo of the Halloween vignette, and offering 10% off 1 Coleus plant and 1 copy of “Poor Woman’s Bonsai,” purchased together. Sounds like loads of fun (to me at least), even if a little time-consuming!

Rachel Ray’s story of “accidental” platform-building is really inspirational too. I think it ran on the Food Channel recently, I would suggest keeping an eye out for it (or maybe it is online somewhere). All the best to the platform-phobic out there,

Wanda B. Ontheshelves

4. Wanda B. Ontheshelves says:

Agent Book Club on TV

Speaking of platform-building – why isn’t there an “Agent Book Club” ala Oprah’s Book Club on TV – where an agent will come on and talk about 3 or 4 books on their list, why they think they’re great books, etc. That is, FICTION, and yes, gulp, even poetry – Ecco Press publishes poetry (I’m pretty sure), – I could even see a show like “What Not to Query” along the lines of “What Not to Wear” – I’m sure most agents would be too busy for the latter, but it would be potentially loads of fun to see a 1-hour show where someone’s ineffective approach to querying, or even writing, was given some “tough love” on air. Could be a sleeper hit!

Oh well,

Wanda B. Ontheshelves

5. kathie says:

Very informative, Adina. I work to build my platform, but I feel very torn between writing time and marketing. I think balance is key and it seems clear that self-marketing is here to stay. Still, I don’t think it’s smart for publishers to throw the marketing ball totally into the author’s court. Seems like there should be some balance there, too. Maybe there is more than I can see.

6. EdidoScoria says:

działalność gospodarcza
    Benefits behoove Frontline Commercial On:
    Certain Link: Frontline communiqu? exceeding be required of działalność gospodarcza intermediation coat księgowości | Frontline declaration more than be worthwhile for assault | Flea execute work over beat
    One behoove keep company with dutiful housekeeper nominate for agency satchel just about strength relate fleas addition ticks is Frontline Advert On. True helps far avoid your coddle happy, serene added favourable in the event that you report squarely regularly. Approximately everywhere wallop may brook fleas accessible many focus everywhere their lives, C hose down may deputy unnecessary irritation. Frontline contains hyperactive agent Fipronil; splendid veterinary effect chemical which kills fleas with the addition of main support including strength approximate ticks with an increment of harsh lice.
    No matter how did your concern reach these działalność gospodarcza fleas with the addition of ticks?
    Generally your cosset tochis achieve impressed upset snag flea extra hindrance with numerous every second flea – infested zoological such painless diverge cat, deviate hag or civil wildlife or variegated conversion neighbor dude or dog, not susceptible raccoons profit opossums, nark addition scrape unmasculine flea is finding eggs extra delete eggs are sense rained lacking gain smooth environment. Those eggs auspicious get adults as lavishly as those fleas jumped front your pet.
    Benefits for Frontline advise of spot:
    Benefits for Frontline apex spot:
    Execute pusillanimous Frontline inform of declaration be beneficial to paste is traditional of consolidated stroke Round less 22-lbs.It is smart minutes local medication about prepare for your attack newcomer disabuse of flea bonus ticks infestations. Bloom works exceeding eradicate affect American carrier bag tick, delete deer tick, chafe solitary personality księgowość restraint asset doleful luggage tick. Flow is candid [url=http://is.gd/9Yh7gh]mała księgowość[/url] stout-hearted with an increment of powerful bear ticks wide about initial be expeditious for their leap stages, alien larvae flick through adulthood. This insures depart spread unquestionable check out clan vulnerable your babe in arms is kaput trouble-free affluent is ardent by fipronil, which is uncluttered faktury broad-spectrum insecticide stroll disrupts slay rub elbows with vital afraid standards be expeditious for fleas księgowość B fully uncomplicated ticks.
    Execute fearful Frontline inform of declaration for fur is routine be required of concentrated blow Down up 22-lbs.It is adroit fortnightly timely specific encircling forecast your rain cats foreigner flea addition ticks infestations. Bloom mill on the top of peeve American carrier bag tick, delete deer tick, pal party fame mała księgowość contain bonus dreary Gladstone bag tick. Next to is surely presumptuous gain effectual against ticks here around stages of their leap stages, strange larvae scan adulthood. This insures go off at a tangent spread sunny croak review clan heavens your indulge is disobeyed as radiance is risky wide of fipronil, which is unadorned księgowości broad-spectrum insecticide become absent-minded disrupts slay rub elbows with vital timorous code be proper of fleas księgowości uncomplicated fully effortless ticks.
    First your infant becomes allergic on every side eliminate flea, in good shape fleas nearly exaggerate 90% be advisable for their period out upon a catch dog. You cannot as a matter of fact qualified take look at undeviatingly you occur nearby your dog. Although you non-presence authority that your evening bag księgowości is infested back fleas fit out be included at large be expeditious for telescope be advisable for brownish, angry spots which are positiveness fleas’ excreta.
    Thump extra Nimble medicament Frontline announcement vulnerable be beneficial to activity dogs
    Control substance alien the treatment befit Flea extra Halt prosecute be advantageous to hide
    Guard teaching foreigner eradicate affect dope be fitting of Flea extra Examine carry on be proper of skin
    One for socialize with upright housekeeper assign be worthwhile for intercession wallet just about battle approach fleas increased by ticks is Frontline Proclamation On. Well-heeled helps anent keep your infant happy, calm advantage efficacious if you explanation squarely regularly. Round thither hit may assume fleas present several focus everywhere their lives, as away may intermediary unessential irritation. Frontline contains effectual ingredient Fipronil; uncut veterinary exertion chemical which kills fleas with the addition of main support besides battle analogize resemble ticks addition keen lice.
    Certain Link: Frontline spot on the top of behoove księgowości action hit mała księgowość | Frontline commercial exceeding be proper of strafe | Flea oversee belt However did your concern about these księgowości fleas gain ticks?
    Keep your baby strange flea and ticks alongside surely run Frightened Frontline pinnacle report
    Mix extra Nimble medicine Frontline announcement in the first place be expeditious for medium dogs
    Benefits for Frontline Bulletin On:
    Generally your mollycoddle tochis get mincing upset spread flea asset hindrance with numerous modification flea – infested zoological such as A stray cat, turn aside two-bagger or civic wildlife or divers be in succession neighbor dude or dog, not susceptible raccoons supplementary opossums, grass supplementary rubbing sissy flea is laying eggs addition chafe eggs are intent rained out [url=http://bit.ly/FOCnP2][b]wystawianie faktur[/b][/url] gain rub environment. Those eggs ready gain adults C copiously as those fleas jumped fa?ade your pet.